Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Christmas Pledge

"And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.
Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more!"
1

Last week our discussion centered on simpler gift-giving. Many ideas came from an article found at www.simpleliving.net such as gifts of service, gift certificates, annual memberships, outings, homemade gifts, etc. There are many great ideas to be found on the web at places such as http://www.newdream.org/holiday/giftideastaff.php (I even downloaded an entire brochure called “Simplify the Holidays” here) or www.simpleliving.org. I also came across a few organizations online that may aid you in donating to some great causes. I have not had the time to research any of these in detail so I cannot personally endorse them, however if you have the desire to search out some great causes to support, they may help you. Besides the ones mentioned in last week’s email, there are:

Altgifts.org JustGive.org
Globalgiving.com
OurVoicesTogether.org

We’ll be collecting our Peace Paks for ChildVoice International this Friday, so please bring your boxes of items donated to our next meeting. If you need a copy of the PeacePak flyer again that lists the items needed, just let me know and I’ll forward you the document. I’m not sure if any of you have heard of the book, Unplug the Christmas Machine. If you have it, I would love to borrow it as it sounds really good. Here is a “pledge” I found from the book that speaks to the need for simplifying Christmas:

The Christmas Pledge2
Believing in the beauty and simplicity of Christmas, I commit myself to the following:
1. To remember those people who truly need my gifts.
2. To express my love for family and friends in more direct ways than presents.
3. To rededicate myself to the spiritual growth of my family.
4. To examine my holiday activities in light of the true spirit of Christmas.
5. To initiate one act of peacemaking within my circle of family and friends.

As we continue preparing for the holidays, one of the questions that we started to explore last week and I’d like to explore more this week is, how do we celebrate Christmas as a bona fide birthday party for Christ? I would love to know how you celebrate Jesus. What gifts do we actually give to the Christ-child? Please come with your ideas, whether you’ve tried them or not. I would be grateful for new traditions in celebrating the “Birthday Boy”!

Blessings,
Crystal


1 From How The Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess
2 From
Unplug the Christmas Machine , by Jo Robinson and Jean Coppock Staehe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...