Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Evolution of Passions: Before and after children

Hi all,
Kim here. What am I passionate about?

I enjoy cooking. My passion is healthy and tasty, medicinal, or anything with dark organic chocolate. Well, I used to love cooking until there were two little ones to tote to the store for that one ingredient that was missing from the new recipe I wanted to try. Then there are the multiple skirmishes to break up and mediate when I didn’t see who did what that leaves me wondering if I have added the salt or baking powder yet. I definitely have something in common with Michelle here except the driving force was not my daughter’s health, but my own. Through lifestyle changes I’ve seen cancer, multiple miscarriages, chronic sinus and bronchial infections, and arthritis cured without any drugs or surgeries.

Truthfully, I even like cleaning or, that is, the results of cleaning. The sense of satisfaction from an orderly and peaceful home that I don’t hesitate to invite others over to for hospitality. Well, I used to like cleaning until the baby/toddler factor was added. You know, the four hours of sleep, the four extra loads of laundry per week, the diapers that leak or that mysteriously fall off when soiled, or the feeding trough of crumbs for any living insect in your house that is conveniently filled three times a day under the kitchen table. Yes, after five moves in seven years of marriage and two toddlers, I am now more passionate about teaching my little ones good habits so my feeble cleaning efforts don’t get undone in five minutes.

I love sharing good news with others. Oftentimes this is with perfect strangers. It is so exciting to witness the new birth of faith in someone who for the first time understands the universality, narrowness and simplicity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is universal in that all sins of all people are paid for so that all can go to Heaven and know God personally. It is narrow in that only sinless blood is sufficient payment for sin. I have yet to meet someone who thinks they are perfect. So we are all universally bankrupt. Think about how ridiculous and rude it would be to add worthless sinful currency of well meaning but sin-tainted works to the gracious payment in full that Jesus has already made. It is not sin or good works that determines if someone has Heaven and eternal life. Rather, it is one’s acceptance or rejection of Jesus who paid their sin debt that determines their destiny. God will not violate or rape our free will and force Himself, His Spirit of new life on us. However, since having children, my passion for evangelism has often turned toward Zachary (4) and Charis (2). Zachary first responded to the gospel at 23 months and I am so convicted and humbled by His faith and love for others. He is so uninhibited that he’ll sing out his own made up gospel songs to perfect strangers.

I delight in serving with my husband, Bill. We are such opposites in Spiritual gifts and temperaments that with God’s grace we make a strong team. We enjoy hosting and leading small group Bible studies, counseling couples, and just having people over for friendship, fellowship and fun. Since having Charis, we have cut back on external activities to direct our energies into investing in, and adjusting to, two mobile children. However, we are sensing that we are ready for more activity outside of family again.

I am becoming passionate about home schooling, not the arts and crafts of preschool, but I love seeing our children learn and learning along with them. This week we read about all sorts of animals and insects to avoid touching in the rainforest and tropics, that 100 divided by zero is undefined and impossible, and that a kookaburra is a kingfisher bird in Australia. Zachary reminds me often that Charis isn’t reading yet as if she is sick and something needs to be done urgently about it. He is determined to teach her, for she should have figured this out yesterday.

Lastly, I am passionate about Biblical friendships. Yes, it would be nice if you all liked to play a good game of volleyball or spades, but what is far more important to me is authentic, masks off, iron sharpening iron, Philippians 4:6, Ephesians 4:29, Proverbs 27:6, gossip free and edifying friendships. This is why I like getting to know you all at Kajiji’s and it has been a refreshing blessing.

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    Your blog posting was great, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! How true your title is in that 'evolution' is a perfect word to sometimes describe our passions since becoming mothers. I admire your pursuit of health and good habits, and your spirit of evangelism, especially towards your children, can be a good lesson for all in seeing how our ministry is a perfect fit at home as well as "out in the world". And, of course, I comletely identify with your passion for Biblical friendships and being willing to show our true selves with each other so that we may help make each other truly more perfect through Christ's love.

    And who's to say I don't like volleyball just because I haven't played since high school? :-) Maybe you'll get me playing yet!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...