Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Introducing Landon...

I feel bad because after all these weeks with no new blog entries, I'm sure there are many visitors who are wondering what's going on with this blog! And though most of our family and friends know, I wanted to fill you all in on the happenings of our family over the holidays. It is pretty common knowledge that I was pregnant and expecting on Christmas with the assumption that I would be late as every baby I've ever had is late, and they keep getting later and later - so we were really expecting a January baby! Anyway, I'll include an email here from my husband explaining what happened:

Season’s Greetings Everyone!

As most of you know, Crystal and I were expecting our fourth child on Christmas Day (well, Crystal usually delivers two weeks late, so we were actually expecting it around Jan 7). We had a home birth planned with a midwife Crystal felt very comfortable with. However, on Friday, December 14, we received some alarming test results showing problems with Crystal’s liver function and platelets. She was diagnosed with HELLP Syndrome, which carries an infant and maternal mortality rate of up to 40%. The only cure for HELLP Syndrome is delivery of the baby. With a combination of fear and prayer, I rushed Crystal to the hospital and she was delivered by emergency C-section.

On December 14, at 5:03 pm, Landon Michael joined our family. HELLP Syndrome usually resolves itself with no further treatment after the delivery. Crystal’s most recent test results indicate that this is holding true in her case, and it appears she will make a full recovery.

Landon weighed in at 7 lbs. 1 oz. and 20 inches, making him our smallest child by far (the other boys were about 10 lbs.). We can’t decide who he looks like yet, but you can decide for yourself by checking out the attached photos. Either way, we think he’s beautiful, and we are just happy to have mom and baby home safely. We hope you all enjoy your holiday as much as we are enjoying our early Christmas gift.

So there is the short version of our very exciting, and at times traumatic, Christmas story. The doctors are still scratching their heads in wonder as to what went wrong and why I did not show all of the typical symptoms of such a serious illness (I only had a couple of mild symptoms and felt perfectly fine otherwise). I sincerely believe it was only by God's grace that baby and I stayed so healthy despite such an alarming diagnosis. At this point I have made a full recovery according to my latest tests, and Landon is healthy and thriving. It is only through your prayers and support that everything went as smoothly as it did. So thank you, thank you, thank you!! It is so wonderful having a community of sisters-in-Christ who are there for me and really came through. God has blessed us abundantly!

With all told now, I hope to get back to the blog postings on In the Midst of Chaos starting again next week. Until then have a great week and God bless!

Love,
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...