Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Doing Justice and Walking Humbly with Kids, Part II

It is within the family that we first come to have that sense of ourselves and our relations with others that is at the root of moral development.1

Love of those within our own family and care for the neighbors beyond the household are not mutually exclusive. There is an intricate connection between home and world, love of one’s own children and care of all God’s children. They are potentially complimentary and mutually enriching.

Does this mean we always have the time, money and resources to involve ourselves in public ministry? Maybe our heart is with foster children but circumstances don’t allow us to take in any kids. Maybe we are touched by the plight of the homeless, addicts, prostitutes, etc. Maybe we dream of rocking neglected babies in an orphanage far away and too expensive to travel to. But care of our own children can open our eyes to all other children as well.

The author outlines the following four ways to actualize love of other kids through love of one’s own kids:

  1. we love our kids to learn how to love other kids
  2. we love our kids for the sake of a better world
  3. we teach our kids to care for others and to work for social justice
  4. we model just love within our family2

How then do parents work for peace and justice at home and in the larger world? The answer is at once simple and complicated: involve children every step of the way. (italics mine)

Practical suggestions in learning justice can be through daily conversations with your children, decisions about the use and placement of TV’s, video games, etc., and learning how to respect all those within the family. Are these small, daily efforts to do justice gestures in the night? I hope not. It’s hard to know for sure. But affirming mundane, routine conversation as a small act of doing justice essential to the faith life of the family is certainly a step in the right direction in a culture where spiritual often means inner peace, personal enrichment, and escape from the world’s injustices. Attending to these small acts with children has certainly intensified our own awareness about how intricately matters of justice infiltrate our lives and shape daily living.

One does justice even in the presence of the powerful passions felt toward one’s children by teaching, learning about, and indeed struggling over justice with them. Adults raise their own social awareness as they strive to raise socially aware children. In this practice, they turn the private task of raising children into an important public ministry.

The author also brings up the practice of serving others, namely one’s own family, by participating in daily chores. …children also need daily exercise of the practice of loving others as they love themselves, and this means a family system in which their pitching in is also essential to the family’s functioning. Children need family duties… “not just because they will learn discipline by doing so, but because through this work they will understand that no one in the home exists just to serve them.”

“…children need a gradual, incremental transfer of power and responsibility for family welfare as appropriate to age and situation.”

So ask yourself: What are your expectations of your children? Do you expect too much or not enough from them? “Participation, responsibility and maturity” are fostered through appropriate familial duties.

So the family is, as one scholar argues, a “school for critical contribution to the social good.” But it is more than this. It is also a “school of justice” unto itself. That is, the family is a school of justice not merely as parents work with children to reach outward to those in need but in its own internal dynamics. Families teach justice by the very way they structure the work and love of daily life.

What does your “school of justice” look like? Parents can be great examples and models of justice by our acts of service to all those around us including family, friends and strangers as well as making sure the pathway of parenting is paved with communication. A simple thing such as talking which we do everyday with friends and family can become harder as our children mature, but we need to make sure we continue to open our mouth, ask questions and make the kind of decisions which will help lead our children in becoming leaders of justice in their own right.

Crystal

1. Political scientist Susan Moller Okin as quoted in In the Midst of Chaos

2. From the Study Guide of In the Midst of Chaos written by Mindy McGarrah

3. All green text comes from Chapter 6 of In the Midst of Chaos.

5 comments:

  1. I can really appreciate the comments regarding chores for children. I very much like the way this argument is presented and it gives me pause, as I didn't grow up with chores and have not implemented them with my children yet. Something for me to certainly consider more purposefully.

    I am concerned though, or perhaps wanting to offer a word of caution regarding social justice and children. I strongly believe we can do damage to their spirits by presenting negative realities without empowering them to do something about it. Telling a child there are starving children in Africa, or that a Tsunami has taken out a village is not a sufficient education about social justice. The conversation, to truly be effective, must result in action. Children need to feel like they CAN do something in response to the injustices all around them and throughout the world. We need to show them it is NOT hopeless. Otherwise, I really believe we will be raising a bunch of individuals who will grow up with a strong discouragement that will lead to apathy. We must commit to empowering and encouraging them to indeed change the world if we are to take on the issue of justice with them. We must also show them that this is NOT an impossible task and that we DO change the world with one act of kindness at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree, Erin. I heard once from an environmental conservationist that we should throw out all children's books that mention the endangerment of animals as teaching young ones this reality too early will not give them purpose in helping to save the animals (or land, jungles, clean air, etc.) but only discouragement. Passion must be cultivated first through learning about someone or something and only then can there be a purpose in saving it.

    This is another subject, but your comments also remind me of the article in Mothering about children being involved in political activism and how we also need to be careful as to what our children should be exposed to and involved in as sometimes we expect or encourage our children to stand up in roles that should only belong to adults.

    Thanks for your valuable input!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog posting really hit home for me. I don't think I really ever liked other people's kids very much before I had my own.

    I still don't ALWAYS like kids, but I find that I truly am crazy about most kids - particularly the ones I get a chance to know and love.

    I see some of the same characteristics that I adore in my own son and those that drive me nuts, too, and realize that as different as kids are, they all can be lovable.

    I feel the same compassion and wish to be able to save the orphans and homeless and to have a foster child. Realistically, I know I am not cut out for it. I am not willing to sacrifice the peace and continuity in my life and that of my family and risk harming my own child's upbringing to help someone else. Selfish, yup, but I feel that's my job. To be selfish on the part of my own family. They come first. If I want to use my time and my emotional capital to save others, I need to do it on my own time.

    I always have great intentions of doing something "good" - other than giving cash to a worthy cause. I want to "do something." Then I hear about the people living at a shelter in the area who take donations and sell them - using the money to buy drugs. That deflates my generosity balloon in a hurry. It isn't to say that I won't make donations, but maybe to a place where I won't KNOW what happens to them and I get to feel good about what I am doing.

    I totally agree with Erin that we need to insulate our kids from stories that leave them feeling hopeless - or worse - indifferent. But after a certain age, they do need to understand reality. You CAN'T do much for a tsunami-ravaged village. But what we can teach them is what they CAN do - pray for the victims, be thankful to God for the blessings they have been given, give money if that is appropriate, and help those you CAN help. Use the energy to do some good in your own neighborhood, and yes, realize that sometimes life is not fair and there is nothing you can do about it.

    Just as sharing my life with my husband and seeing the example he is to me makes me want to be more like him and be a better person, raising my son has opened my eyes and made me want to be a better person - and teacher.

    We are all constantly learning and can learn a lesson from everything we see, hear and do - even if that lesson is what NOT to do.

    Seeing so many Christian moms who home school (or plan to) has made me realize that every moment in the home is a teaching moment. Habits are the best teachers. Seeing mom and dad kiss and hug goodbye and hello or holding hands can be one of the most powerful images a child ever sees - particularly if they see it every day!

    Justice starts by being fair, following through with the rules, and doing what you say you will do.

    Being good to each other in the home and doing good in the community on a daily basis are probably the best examples of justice - habits that impress our kids and make us more like Christ. Every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All great comments! Only thing I'd disagree with is that I believe there's always something that can be done to help others. Like Jean said, we can pray and give money to those who are devastated by natural disasters. Only with God are all things possible!

    Also to Jean's comment, I was thinking something similar about others' kids. Before having a child, I wasn't a "kid person." I did like them but didn't pay too much attention to them! Now, I adore other people's children and want to spend time with them. Funny how that works!

    I so agree that there is an age appropriateness for everything we expose our kids to-especially the harsh realities of this world. I hope to instill in Sarah the Truth that though we face many trials in this world, we have a hope and peace and joy that only comes from above. That's why her middle name is Hope! I was "hoping" to help define the woman she will become in Christ!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...