Friday, February 27, 2009

Ashes, Ashes

Lent is upon us. In the church I grew up in, we didn't celebrate Lent. We celebrated Easter, and it didn't involve the Easter bunny or baskets of treats. As I look back, I remember always having a new dress (and sometimes matching hat) and singing Easter hymns. We'd come home from church and feast on roasted leg of lamb, mashed potatoes and other various sides. As it is with many holidays, the food was one of my favorite parts. But I do distinctly and fondly remember the overall spiritual reverence and rejoicing on that day. I got it - I got the celebration of His resurrection and what it meant for me personally. In fact, at one point, Easter was my favorite holiday. It was not only a time of rejoicing, but it also meant Spring was here...and a new dress. :-)

With no Lent though, I missed out on the mourning or fasting period beforehand. Without Lent, Easter was more about me and my salvation (hallelujah!) than it was about simply and gloriously HIM. These days as I come up against the worst parts of me, I believe Lent and its somber observance is a vital key in my celebrating Easter. In a sense, I'm new to Lent. I'm not familiar with the intentional practices of self-sacrifice for the sake of a time-honored religious tradition. Don't get me wrong, as a wife and mother, I know all too well that sacrifice is a part of life. In the sacrifices of everyday life though, it's far too easy to cling ever more tightly to those things in our lives which bring us fulfillment, satisfaction, downtime, pleasure. The little pleasures in life are not necessarily wrong in and of themselves, but they can rob us of time, energy and/or focus and make us "miss the mark" of excellence in our day - things like TV, internet, books, poor diet, bad habits, time-wasters, distractions. So to willingly give up something we deem good for ourselves is not only countercultural but counter to the very fabric of our nature.

Erin blogged about Lent and its three-level approach of prayer, fasting and charity. She challenged us to share the way in which we each have chosen to observe Lent in these three ways. In that same spirit, I've decided to share here what are my plans for Lent and what we are doing as a family to observe Lent.

Ash Wednesday happened to fall on our "Family Night", and so my husband and I took the opportunity to explain to the kids in a general manner what the day was about and teach them a bit about Lent. We each had ashes applied to our foreheads and then started reading one story each night from the kids' Family Bible. Our plan is to reach the story of Christ's resurrection by Easter (give or take a few days). There were many good ideas online about Lenten trees, charts or calendars, even a Lenten ark constructed like an Advent calendar. We decided to loosely follow one family's example of their Lenten calendar (they also provide a blank one for you to fill in with your own ideas or theirs). The children chose one thing to give up for one day each week (yes, I know it's supposed to be 40 days, but I thought we could ease into it as they're still so young and brand new to Lent.) My husband and I announced what we would be giving up for the full 40 days, and then we all proceeded to choose 5 things each to give away to those less fortunate. I'm hoping to create an awareness even in the youngest member of our family of the idea of self-sacrifice and generosity. And being grateful for all that Christ gave up for us.

My own intentions for Lenten prayer, fasting and charity include:

  • Participating in the Liturgy of the Hours as best I can. This goes back to my New Year's resolution of being more diligent in prayer and scheduling my day around prayer. I haven't been very successful at it, but I continue to try.
  • Going on a spending fast. I will reject any form of shopping, online or otherwise, as well as giving all bill-paying duties over to my husband. This is a big deal as I'm the CFO of our family, and with the occasional input, my husband has entrusted our finances to me over the years. Coincidentally, we are taking a financial class over the next 13 weeks, and I think it will be good for my husband to take stock and see the big picture of where we are and where we're going financially. It will be very hard for me to let go of this control as well as not impulsively taking advantage of some good shopping deals. More than anything, it makes me accountable to my husband which is always a good thing.
  • Giving away one possession of mine for each day of Lent. I think this is going to be a lot harder than I think it will be, but I am hoping my house will be 40 items lighter by Easter. Through this, my hope is materialism will loosen its hold on me a bit more, and my soul will also be 40 items lighter by Easter.

As I reflect on the traditions of Lent and struggle to practice my own Lenten vows, I come to a better understanding of its meaning - to bring us closer to Christ and become more like Him. For He gave up everything in order to give us everything. The things we give up and give away during these 40 days is but infinitesimal compared to Christ's sacrifice. Just imagine our world if we lived our 40-day Lenten life all year round...

Nothing, how little so ever it be, if it is suffered for God's sake, can pass without merit in the sight of God.

~Thomas a Kempis

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!! This was so inspirational, Crystal. When I was single, I was encouraged at Bethany to participate in Lent, learning for the first time in my twenties, that it wasn't just a "Catholic tradition"...it's so about the self sacrifice you shared so well..I have been out of the true practice for a few years now and am excited to see how my new family traditions will emerge. Thank you as always, for the great ideas & resources! If anyone has any input on how to begin teaching a two year old I'd love it..I'm at a loss, thinking she's a bit young, but all the other experienced moms out there may have a different take! God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to the comment by the person who was "encouraged at Bethany to participate in Lent..."

    Are "Catholic traditions" NOT about self sacrifice?

    If Lent actually WAS "just a Catholic tradition" would it not be worth doing?

    Where do Protestants get the idea that anything Catholic is BAD?

    Do Evangelical ministers fill your heads with these terrible ideas? Because Catholic priests don't sit around bad-mouthing Protestants or any other religions.

    Catholic traditions came from JESUS. He taught the apostles and his disciples the way he wanted them to pray and to remember him. They didn't "just make it all up."

    Catholic tradition is so readily rejected but if you were not so quick to toss out something you have been told is bad and took the time to actually learn about it, you would find such a rich and fulfilling way to worship Him that would add so much to your life.

    Don't forget that you are insulting and rejecting real Christians when you put down the Catholic faith and its traditions. And, why do you do that? Are you taught that is the way to treat other people - by judging them??

    Consider sometime that maybe the Protestants got it wrong - that they did not do the right thing by branching off from The Church and making up their own version of Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that many traditions, Catholic, Jewish, Protestant or otherwise, can become "just a tradition" - something rote and meaningless to those who routinely perform it. I don't believe Stacy was saying it was a bad thing, possibly a new thing for her or possibly another religious tradition that is sometimes practiced with no value attached to it, no real self-sacrifice.

    I will readily admit to coming from a background of a certain Protestantism where Catholicism was taught as being "not of us." And though I may take issue with certain pieces of the Catholic faith, I feel it's unfortunate that in certain circles it's become a them vs. us attitude. I've come to learn more about and appreciate greatly some of the rich traditions in the Catholic church. The catholic (universal) church should not be focused on its divisions but rather needs to be reveling in its unity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breaking my Lenten fast for a moment to defend a dear friend. Stacy did not mean anything against Catholicism - she was merely stating that she never practiced Lent because she saw it as an exercise that didn't fall under her particular denominational affiliation, the same way hanging Tibetan prayer flags didn't - why would anyone practice something they know nothing about?

    I understand a LOT of non-Catholic Christians have said HORRIBLE things against the Catholic Church and anger, resentment, and bitterness is a logical human response. However, Anonymous has totally misdirected these emotions to someone who absolutely did not deserve it or mean any harm or mean to make any judgments against their faith.

    I agree with Crystal in that there are enough aspects of Catholicism that don't fit for me theologically, that I choose another option that is a better fit for me. But this is a personal preference and I have nothing against my brothers and sisters in the church for whom Catholicism is their denomination of choice. I sure hope my dear friends and family who are Catholic do not view me as harshly as Anonymous does.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...