Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Spirit of Excellence

A spirit of revival has started to grow among us – have you sensed it? It starts with the dissatisfaction of something in our lives - the lack of intimacy in our marriage, the way we’ve been parenting lately, the lack of involvement in our church, the resolutions we’ve made and already broken this year, etc. Whatever it is, we feel the desire to do something, to change something, but we’re not quite sure what. After all, our lives aren’t that bad – our children are cute as buttons, our homes are a bit cluttered but cozy, our husbands are good men (and handsome). Why would we be discontented? God has blessed us abundantly - we should feel grateful, not dissatisfied in any way, right? But there can be no change without some sense of dissatisfaction. The Holy Spirit prompts us at times to change, whether it be ourselves or a situation. It is a calling to maturity in Christ. Feeling these feelings and thinking these thoughts may be good and necessary, but if we don’t go further in the process, they are just feelings and just thoughts and no transformation can come from it.

A recent lesson about Zaccheus in a Bible study of mine goes like this:
For most of us, we will readily admit that we need to spend more time with the Lord. We need to pray more. We need to be living more simply that others may simply live. There are lots of things we should or could do. We will even discuss our faults and failings among a gathering of friends. We can get warm fuzzy feelings in sharing our shortcomings. But this is not really a cry for help. I am not disparaging that in any way, it is just that that is all window dressing unless or until we are willing to take the next step, as Zaccheus does, and publicly commit ourselves to live a changed life! To walk down the aisle – in front of everyone – and make a commitment and follow through. I know this. There is a huge difference and a thick wall of resistance between talking about Jesus and admitting our need and surrender.

Denial is concealed behind walls of resistance, walls erected by success, status, acceptance, comfort and laziness. We are willing to talk about the need to change in a setting with friends, even joke about it. We reinforce our present state with thoughts that things will work out. We build a moat of excuses. But knowing who we should be is not the same as becoming or being that person. It is not easy to say publicly: “I am lost. I need help.” It is even more remarkable to say: “This will be the evidence of my surrendering my life to Christ.”


Jesus acknowledges the genuineness of Zaccheus’ transformed life, not because of the change in his words, but the change in his life.1

Transformation comes from a change in action, not only in thoughts but deed. The ironic thing is our commitment to change and be and do comes only from surrendering to Christ. Only through His power can we be shaped into the being He wants us to become and acting out the actions He wants us to carry out. I believe this spirit of revival is calling us to lead lives of excellence - to be women of excellence to our children, to our husbands, to our friends and to those around us we may not know.


Many have no example of what excellence looks like. You were created to live a life that displays a higher standard. My Spirit in you, combined with your desire to be the best and do the best, has the amazing ability to inspire others to break free from mediocrity. Together, we will encourage them to step into an abundant life of blessings and generous giving. Come to Me every day, and let me lift you to a level of excellence that is only possible in the supernatural realm. I don’t want you to wear yourself out by trying to empower yourself. Remember I am ready and able to equip you with the power and passion to achieve an excellent life.

Love, Your Generous King2


For many, the New Year is usually a time of reflection and resolve. What things in your life do you wish were different? What about yourself do you wish was changed? What commitments have you made and not delivered on? And when was the last time you surrendered yourself to God, praying for Him to empower you to change what needs to be changed? Allow Him to do what He does best – making you excellent.

Love,
Crystal

1 Lesson written by Duff Dietrich (former senior pastor of my church)
2 From His Princess: Love Letters from Your King by Sheri Rose Shepherd

1 comment:

  1. What does "Surrendering to Christ" look like when it is applied to the everyday? What does it look like for you in your reality? What do you think it should look like in your reality? Is your "should" picture and your "real" picture any different?

    Mine sure are different - completely.

    This concept of surrendering to Christ is one that haunts me. The words and their meaning escape my imagination. I tag on very standardized Christian responses, in hopes of hitting the target. Things like, having a daily quiet time, reading my Bible, memorizing Scripture, remembering to pray about a decision before I act, choosing silence instead of speaking, and a whole bunch of other things that simply do not come naturally to me.
    Is this what it means to "surrender to Christ?" I begin to wonder if I am completely off base, defaulting to commonly-heard catch phrases that are thrown around from pulpit to pew.
    What DOES it mean to surrender? "To relinquish control, possession, power, aims and goals. To give up in favor of another. To resign to something"
    Yikes. Do I really want to do that? If I am honest, I would have to say usually no. Oh to have the Faith to Trust God's control, possession, power, aims and goals as being better than my own!

    In looking at Zaccheus’ example, this surrendering results in a changed life. In doing what others don’t expect you to do. Becoming pleasantly, gloriously unpredictable…
    huh…
    In my life, what would that mean?
    It would mean refraining from yelling when my son totally expects it. It would mean serving my husband when he doesn’t deserve it. Silencing the negative self-talk in my head. Refusing to judge or gossip with my friends. Honoring my mother-in-law when I feel like breaking every dish in the sink... Without a doubt these kinds of choices would require the miraculous intervention of God! I think I’ll take the two seconds tomorrow morning to ask for His help.
    Is that all there is to it? Can it be as simple as that?
    I don’t think Zaccheas had all this time to analyze it. He saw Jesus. He wanted Jesus. He did what he needed to do to get Jesus into his life.
    Open your eyes, Erin. See Jesus. Want Jesus. Do what you need to do. Don’t think… do. Don’t think… do. Gatta go… apparently, I have some things to do!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...