Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Seeking Accountability

Hello Kajiji Girls-

Is all this talk about how we spend our time, what we are doing with our talents and passions and simple living affecting you? I suppose it remains to be seen to what degree I am affected, but I know it has me thinking tons and tons. I recognize in myself the ability to think things to death while actively, I do nothing. This post is being sent out to you all as an attempt to overcome that, even if briefly, in regards to a specific part of my life.

I have always understood why it is important to have a daily date with God. I get it that He should be to us what our husbands were when we first met - exciting, someone we want to be around all the time, soaking up his every word, longing to be together when we are apart - but my head and my heart haven't ever really gotten together on these concepts and having a "regular quiet time" has been seen as a chore, something that comes way lower than taking a shower or a nap on my list of priorities when the kids are otherwise occupied.

But this talk about our passions has led me to a startling revelation. I cannot, in good faith, follow my passion, pursue my dream, unless I am first following Christ and pursuing God. I believe this would hold true no matter the passion, but in my case, I feel this necessity all the more. I long to be an encouragement and inspiration to others. (More on the specifics of how I intend to do this will come in due time.) How can this be when I am not seeking encouragement and inspiration from the Spirit? It is He who must give me breath to then give breath to others.

I have avoided facing this reality for two reasons. One - If I vow to have my time with God every day and don't - to pursue my passion would mean a pursuit shrouded in hypocrisy. Logically, I then determine I will do neither, just to be safe. Two - If I am successful (by the grace of God) and have my quiet time, I will have lost a fairly strong argument against pursing my passion and facing the fears associated with doing so. Again, logical reasoning brings me to the "safe" place of doing neither.

But now I find myself in a situation where the opportunity to realize long-held dreams is upon me. I have some key signs from God indicating the light has turned green and it is time to open up the throttle and see what this baby can do!

I want to have a 10 minute quite time (Susan sent an email about this idea, if you didn't get it, ask me and I will forward it) every day from now until Easter. This is where you come in. I need someone(s) to check in with me every day (by phone or email) to make sure I am keeping to it. I am happy to return this favor, but I don't need it to be a two-way exchange. Please do NOT casually accept this partnership. I cannot stick to this without someone(s) who will really hold me to what I need to do. Either comment here, or email me directly if you are willing to connect with me for the next few weeks.

I know I could have singled someone out to ask to do this for me, but I thought it best to let you in on what my brain (ok, God really) has been doing with our conversations and this blog. I hope it in some way means something to someone besides just me.

With much love, respect and gratitude-
Erin
ps - This was not intended to be the official posting for this week, so there may be an additional post coming. Crystal will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...